Re-tubing my Premier 2

The PV-1 to now...
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Re-tubing my Premier 2

Post by AudioDIY »

Hi, I've just found and joined this site. I am a CJ fan and my system consisted of AR turn table with SME arm and Monster Cable MC, CJ Premier 6 head-amp, CJ Premier 2 pre-amp, Threshold S500 II power-amp and a pair of Accoustic 2+2 electrostatic panel speakers. I had this system since 1982 and have not used it that much; especaiily the last 5 years since I spent most time with my lovely granddaughter (she is almost 5).

Recently, I am trying to enjoy my system and figured out my pre-amp need to be re-tubed since I have not done it for the past 20 years. It still works but sounds a little bit not as clear. I ordered Tung-Sol 12AX7 and EH 5751 Gold Pin from Tube-Depot and paid the additional match-and-balance service. Before I ordered, I have checked CJ's pricing and they charged more than double to what I paid, and I could not justifiy the extra $$$ since this pre-amp is pretty old and I don't want to sink in more money.

So, do you think Tung-Sol and EH are decent tubes to be used for our CJ?

Also, I would like to replace it with either a CJ Premier 3 or ARC SP 10 MK II. Please let me know where can I buy one. My budget is less than $2,000.

Thanks for listening.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Re-tubing my Premier 2

Post by admin »

AudioDIY,
First, let me welcome you to the site, it's nice to have you.
AudioDIY wrote:Hi, I've just found and joined this site. I am a CJ fan and my system consisted of AR turn table with SME arm and Monster Cable MC, CJ Premier 6 head-amp, CJ Premier 2 pre-amp, Threshold S500 II power-amp and a pair of Accoustic 2+2 electrostatic panel speakers. I had this system since 1982 and have not used it that much; especaiily the last 5 years since I spent most time with my lovely granddaughter (she is almost 5).
Sounds like you have a very nice system. I am a big fan of electrostatic speakers and use some Martin Logan Vantages for my mains. If you have time, perhaps you can post some pictures of your setup in the "Members System Gallery" portion of the website.
Recently, I am trying to enjoy my system and figured out my pre-amp need to be re-tubed since I have not done it for the past 20 years. It still works but sounds a little bit not as clear. I ordered Tung-Sol 12AX7 and EH 5751 Gold Pin from Tube-Depot and paid the additional match-and-balance service. Before I ordered, I have checked CJ's pricing and they charged more than double to what I paid, and I could not justifiy the extra $$$ since this pre-amp is pretty old and I don't want to sink in more money.

So, do you think Tung-Sol and EH are decent tubes to be used for our CJ?
I think you will be happy with the new tubes. 20 years is a long time for tubes and when you put the new ones in, I think you will immediately notice a significant improvement in clarity, dynamics, and soundstage. The noise floor will also probably drop to. CJ does charge a premium for their tubes, but I think that is expected as they are not just selling you the tubes, but also their "expert opinion" on what is going to sound good. I did buy one tube from CJ for my PV12 but I didn't feel bad as I was helped by Ed through diagnosing a problem I was having, and if it wasn't for him, I would have bought 2 tubes instead of 1. Not to mention that they didn't charge me anything for the advice and time on the phone with them. Sadely, he has retired. I've bought tubes from multiple online retailers in the past and tube-depot is really good.
Also, I would like to replace it with either a CJ Premier 3 or ARC SP 10 MK II. Please let me know where can I buy one. My budget is less than $2,000.

Thanks for listening.
Places I would check out would be Audiogon, ebay, and craigslist if you live near a bigger city. If you are looking for a specific model, probably craigslist will not have it but worth a try. These places often will have great bargains on older CJ gear. Also, you may want to try posting a "wanted ad" in our Classifieds and Wanted forum area

Once again, welcome to the site!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Re-tubing my Premier 2

Post by AudioDIY »

The tubes arrived and I installed them last night. Boy ... this is a big improvemnt over the old tubes. It brings back the hallmark CJ 3-D sound to life. I am happy with the tubes that I picked.