re-tubing PV 10A & MV 55

The PV-1 to now...
carlo1971
Beginner
Beginner

re-tubing PV 10A & MV 55

Post by carlo1971 »

hello everybody,
I am an Italian owner of PV10A & MV55. After many years of delicious sound- obtained from my CJ combo- I believe it is high time to change tubes.
In particular the EL 34 quartet of the MV55 and the 12 AX7 that support the phono section of the Pv10A.
Shall I go for NOS ?
or average tubes -like tung sol or EH- would do the job just as well ?
I listen a lot to old vinyl -through a Sumiko high output MC- which tubes could be more suitable to upgrade my phono section and make it sound a bit brighter ??

Regards from Italy

Carlo 8-)
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Re: re-tubing PV 10A & MV 55

Post by antaresbluespirit »

carlo1971 wrote:hello everybody,
I am an Italian owner of PV10A & MV55. After many years of delicious sound- obtained from my CJ combo- I believe it is high time to change tubes.
In particular the EL 34 quartet of the MV55 and the 12 AX7 that support the phono section of the Pv10A.
Shall I go for NOS ?
I listen a lot to old vinyl -through a Sumiko high output MC- which tubes could be more suitable to upgrade my phono section and make it sound a bit brighter ??

Regards from Italy

Carlo 8-)
Hi Carlo

What a delicious combo you have ! such a lovely "cuple"is on of the best value for money ....I own the PV10A and in my opinion he gives its best in using NOS Telefunken ECC82 in the line part. as well as mazda...( many user agreed) and I use it in alternative with the PV8 (fitted with GE tube) for the phono 12AX7 mullard but I had the opportunity to buy it with these tube but others should be similar...In any case the line stage with the TFK brings more clarity,detail and dynamic that the origin and suits to its tonal balance..(complementarity reseach in mixing phono "sound" and "line" since the music signal goes through the two stages)

I also had the MV55 with its magic EL34 and their harmonic for voice reproduction(svetlana) but the sensitive point remains the input tube choice that gives the "weight" of music ....I

Should you have efficient speakers there is add value in using the MV55 in pseudo triode mode!

here you are some users feedback that may be interesting for you

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplific ... px#reviews

Regards from France

Raymond

Regards
carlo1971
Beginner
Beginner

Post by carlo1971 »

antaresbluespirit wrote:
carlo1971 wrote:hello everybody,
Shall I go for NOS ?

Regards from Italy

Carlo 8-)
Hi Carlo

What a delicious combo you have ! such a lovely "cuple"is on of the best value for money ....I own the PV10A and in my opinion he gives its best in using NOS Telefunken ECC82 in the line part. as well as mazda...( many user agreed) and I use it in alternative with the PV8 (fitted with GE tube) for the phono 12AX7 mullard but I had the opportunity to buy it with these tube but others should be similar...In any case the line stage with the TFK brings more clarity,detail and dynamic that the origin and suits to its tonal balance..(complementarity reseach in mixing phono "sound" and "line" since the music signal goes through the two stages)

I also had the MV55 with its magic EL34 and their harmonic for voice reproduction(svetlana) but the sensitive point remains the input tube choice that gives the "weight" of music ....I

Should you have efficient speakers there is add value in using the MV55 in pseudo triode mode!

here you are some users feedback that may be interesting for you

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplific ... px#reviews

Regards from France

Raymond

Regards
Thanks Raymond, the MV55 is already operating on triode as I am using extremely efficient speakers (Tannoy Berkley).
What do you mean with "input tubes" ?
the 6SN7 operating in the amp ? or the 12AX7 also operating in the amp ?? I am not sure which is the input tubes set that you are referring to.
One more question, which tubes (inside the amp) are more likely to wear out ??? the EL 34 ??
and is it true that Preamp tubes have a much longer life if compared to amp tubes ??

Ciao

Carlo
unclestu52
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclestu52 »

Original NOS power tubes by GE were rated at 5 to 7k hours if moderately biased.

Small single tubes , like RCA red base were guaranteed for 10K hours, and many like the NOS 12AX7's can easily exceed this . The newer Chinese and Russian made products do have shorter life spans, or at least a shorter usage time before they sound rolled off.