Classic 2 SE preamp os base version of ET 3 better sound?

The PV-1 to now...
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Classic 2 SE preamp os base version of ET 3 better sound?

Post by miatadan »

What would give me better sound quality? Classic 2 SE using upgraded parts or standard version of ET 3?

In info of Classic 2 SE "series resistors in the line stage are replaced with Vishay metal-foil resistors, and polypropylene by- pass capacitors (on the output coupling capacitors and regulated power supply capacitors) are replaced with CJD Teflon capacitors" Only feature really missing is remote volume. selling for $2200

or is basic design of ET 3 still give better sound as it is considered to be baby GAT as referred in stereophile review selling for $2500

anyone compare the 2?

Dan
Steve
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Classic 2 SE preamp os base version of ET 3 better sound

Post by Steve »

I did not compare the two, however I asked my dealer and he thought in terms of performance the Classic 2 SE had a slight edge over the ET3 in stock form. I was preparred to spend up to $2500 but the $4k price of the ET3 SE was out of reach. I was potentially giving up remote for what I hoped to be the best possible sound I could afford, so I had wondered which was better too. My last preamp had electronic volume control and source selection but I have always preferred analog volume and source selectors so I asked myself many times over could I do without remote. Plus I really liked the simplicity, low parts count, less to go wrong factor of the Classic. This system will always be 2 channel, no HT passthrough needed. As for the lack of remote, I use a few sources with variable line out for casual listening and at night.

I purchased the Classic 2 SE and couldn't be happier. This preamp sounds awesome. For me this was money well spent. I could go on and on about how great this thing sounds but I won't bore you with that. I will say that I almost upgraded my speakers instead and that would have been a BIG mistake..... they sound incredible with this preamp in the chain now. This purchase affirms to me that the preamp is the most important component in the chain, assuming you have great speakers of course.

Build quality is excellent, sound quality is better than I expected at this price point. I've had it for three weeks and it just begs to be listened to..... CD after CD til 1 or 2 A.M. .....

If you can live without remote I highly recommend auditioning one.
Mcbrion
Regular
Regular

Post by Mcbrion »

My Classic is being upgraded to an SE version as we speak. I had asked CJ if there was any sonic superiority of the Classic 2 SE to the Classic 1 SE and they said there was no noticeable sonic difference. I asked about the tubes, since the Classic 2 uses 6922 and the Classic 1 uses 8080, but Mel swore there was no sonic difference. I'd heard an ET3 some time ago, but, due to the cabling, a version of Shunyata Andromeda (circa 2003) made for the Far East, the union was less than thrilling. I"m afraid I'll only reliably be able to tell the difference between the Classic and the Classic SE, but I did write someone who'd had the basic Classic and he was thrilled with the SE version, so I'd imagine the SE version, with Teflon caps, will, at the very least, equal the ET3. But again, that's just my speculation.
Steve
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve »

Give it some time to break in.....I was always skeptical about break in, but my SE's sound was all over the map the first couple of weeks. Dark, bright, veiled.... it smelled weird too.... it sounds incredible now.

Enjoy
Mcbrion
Regular
Regular

Post by Mcbrion »

Steve:
Did you leave your preamp on 24/7 for the break-in period?
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Post by rthomeint »

The Teflon caps take a long to to burn in the sound might be clean and clear one day hazy the next. My suggestion get at least 300 hours of playing music the let it settle down. I experienced this with my HD3 and my Met150. After about 250 hours that roller coaster goes away and the sound stabilizes.
Steve
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve »

Yes, I just turned the amp off and ran it for two weeks while I was at work. I listen to it every night so after about a month it is as good as it's going to get I suppose.... It really sounds great. Unfortunately I did have a few bad tubes, both EH6922. They became noisy after a short period. I tried a Reflector branded 6922 and it wasn't bad and seemed to be pretty quiet. That's the most irritating thing to me, noise during quiet passages.....Anyway I picked up a cryo treated Russian 6H23N-EB and not only does it sound great it's dead quiet. I had a weird problem with the last EH6922 that I had never experienced with tube gear. I had a hiss through the woofer and tweeter that was pretty noticeable, easily heard from 9' away. The strange thing is that you could turn it up with no input and the hiss would not change volume, it was like it was a fixed amount of hiss. I put a Sovtek Reflector in there and it went away. Even quieter now with the 6H23n.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve wrote:Yes, I just turned the amp off and ran it for two weeks while I was at work. I listen to it every night so after about a month it is as good as it's going to get I suppose.... It really sounds great. Unfortunately I did have a few bad tubes, both EH6922. They became noisy after a short period. I tried a Reflector branded 6922 and it wasn't bad and seemed to be pretty quiet. That's the most irritating thing to me, noise during quiet passages.....Anyway I picked up a cryo treated Russian 6H23N-EB and not only does it sound great it's dead quiet. I had a weird problem with the last EH6922 that I had never experienced with tube gear. I had a hiss through the woofer and tweeter that was pretty noticeable, easily heard from 9' away. The strange thing is that you could turn it up with no input and the hiss would not change volume, it was like it was a fixed amount of hiss. I put a Sovtek Reflector in there and it went away. Even quieter now with the 6H23n.
Interesting about the volume not effecting the noise if it was due to the tubes. I had some tubes go bad in my PV12 and very noticeable change in the noise floor with the volume setting. It must however be the tube if the only thing you changed was the tube and the problem went away. Either way, glad to hear that everything is ok and your enjoying your system!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Blueway
Regular
Regular

Post by Blueway »

Hi,

I've compared the stock version of Classic 2 vs ET3 this week-end at my vendor, and truthfully, even though the ET3 had more details and micro-information, the Classic 2 just sounded better, more engaging and musical. The difference shocked me since one costs almost the double of the other.