New ET-3

The PV-1 to now...
pdjmwj
Beginner
Beginner

New ET-3

Post by pdjmwj »

Just purchased a new CJ ET-3. It was a demo with under 50 hours. I was going to order a new one but this sounded way too nice and it was my birthday.

All I can say is that I am loving my system right now. My Aerial 8's were already nice in with mid-range but are now so open and smooth. Amplification for 2 channel is a Classe DR9.

What I really like is how reveling my system is when listening late nite low volume.

Very happy with my purchase, I looked all over for several months before locking in on this pre-amp.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New ET-3

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the purchase! I have heard many speak of the ET-3 quite highly so I'm sure you'll be very happy in the long run as well. Getting a demo unit is sometimes really nice as it's usually not heavily used and the burn-in is all done for you! If you have time perhaps you can show us your setup in the "Member Systems Gallery".

Once again, welcome to the site, and happy holidays!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
wynnytsky
Regular
Regular

Post by wynnytsky »

Hey I did the same about a year ago, and I also never heard hi-fi at such low listening levels. If I'm listening after 11pm I turn things down to be polite to neighbors, but that makes my PV-12 a bore so I'd just watch TV. Between the levels of 20 and 30 the ET3 continues to deliver copious amounts of detail, especially with my hi-res files.

Today I watched an Evolution 20 go on an Audiogon auction for $1260 @ 2am. IF I didn't already own two CJ preamps I would have bid it up to 1400 and had the seller send it directly to CJ for repairs, bringing the final price to around $2k.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

Congratulations! ..and Welcome. Now go listen to music and stop looking at Internet forums. :lol: Maybe I should take my own advice! :? :D
pdjmwj wrote:Just purchased a new CJ ET-3. It was a demo with under 50 hours. I was going to order a new one but this sounded way too nice and it was my birthday.

All I can say is that I am loving my system right now. My Aerial 8's were already nice in with mid-range but are now so open and smooth. Amplification for 2 channel is a Classe DR9.

What I really like is how reveling my system is when listening late nite low volume.

Very happy with my purchase, I looked all over for several months before locking in on this pre-amp.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
alexwu21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by alexwu21 »

Hi Hi, I am a newly owner of ET3 as well... happy listening to everyone
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

alexwu21 wrote:Hi Hi, I am a newly owner of ET3 as well... happy listening to everyone
Very jealous! :) Great unit. Welcome to the site. If you have time perhaps you can post some pictures in the "Members System Gallery" section? I think your our first member from Hong Kong, again, welcome to the site, it's nice to have you!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

alexwu21 wrote:Hi Hi, I am a newly owner of ET3 as well... happy listening to everyone
Great choice! congratulations!
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

:D

Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

Ray, I'm no authority on c-j, but in the pic of the ET3 you have there, what is that large white cylinder directly behind the display and in front of the tube? When I opened my ET3 up to replace the tube, it was loose in my unit. Someone had forgotten to zip tie it down and mine was moving back n' forth. It didn't come off the circuit board and all I did was place a tie around it. So no damage occurred than goodness. Pat
alexwu21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by alexwu21 »

Nice pic... I will do the some this weekend... :>
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

eagle6014 wrote:Ray, I'm no authority on c-j, but in the pic of the ET3 you have there, what is that large white cylinder directly behind the display and in front of the tube? When I opened my ET3 up to replace the tube, it was loose in my unit. Someone had forgotten to zip tie it down and mine was moving back n' forth. It didn't come off the circuit board and all I did was place a tie around it. So no damage occurred than goodness. Pat
CJ typically build their boards (PWAs) with holes such that the larger capacitors can be tie-wrapped down.
This helps hold the capacitor(s) in place for soldering and adds some mechanical stability later on.

Once the components are soldered, it's not real critical that the tie wraps are in place. it's funny you mention this because I've seen two cases on two different preamps where tie wraps have "snapped" loose and were laying inside the chassis. Again, not a big deal really as the capacitors are soldered in place anyway.

In the couple cases I saw I did replace the broken tie wraps just for good measure.

With the larger capacitors, I guess there's an argument to be made about mechanical stability during shipping.
i.e. the tie wraps would minimize some of the mechanical stressing of the solder/leads if for instance the preamp were dropped during shipment.
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Mcbrion
Regular
Regular

Post by Mcbrion »

A little late to this party, since I got a Classic 2 about 8 months ago, and then upgraded to a Classic SE.

Well, i saw a ET-3 on Audiogon and jumped on it yesterday. It'll be here in a week. It was very spur of the moment. Except now, I have a Classic SE AND an ET-3, which I'm sure I'll upgrade to SE level within four months (just go give myself time to get used to it). What's the best site to unload the Classic SE? Audiogon? Any other suggestions?
And what are your observations about the improvements between the Classic SE and the ET-3 (if you've had both)? CJ says, lower noise, more resolution, and same imaging. I wanted the anticipation, but I'm interested in the observation of others who've gone that route.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

I've really enjoyed my ET3. C-J said that to upgrade mine to SE it would cost $2100 + S&H. But I cannot find a reason why I should because it sounds great as is. I would unload your Classic on AG. Ask a fair price & someone will buy it. The only other c-j pre I've owned was a Sonographe SC26 & that wasn't happening w/ my LP66S. Have fun! Pat
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Congratulations Mbrion. Can't wait to see a photo when it arrives. Enjoy your new toy.

Mcbrion wrote:A little late to this party, since I got a Classic 2 about 8 months ago, and then upgraded to a Classic SE.

Well, i saw a ET-3 on Audiogon and jumped on it yesterday. It'll be here in a week. It was very spur of the moment. Except now, I have a Classic SE AND an ET-3, which I'm sure I'll upgrade to SE level within four months (just go give myself time to get used to it). What's the best site to unload the Classic SE? Audiogon? Any other suggestions?
And what are your observations about the improvements between the Classic SE and the ET-3 (if you've had both)? CJ says, lower noise, more resolution, and same imaging. I wanted the anticipation, but I'm interested in the observation of others who've gone that route.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Any update pdjmw on your ET-3? How's she sounding?

pdjmwj wrote:Just purchased a new CJ ET-3. It was a demo with under 50 hours. I was going to order a new one but this sounded way too nice and it was my birthday.

eddie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by eddie »

I have an ET3 into a vintage MF-200. Just figured out the channel inversion so I switched the +/- connections to the speakers (PSB T2s) and WOW what a difference. Also with the inline connections to a Monitor Audio 720 subwoofer and Im there! What a difference I didn't know I was missing.
diwakarv
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by diwakarv »

I replaced EH6922 with USN-CEP 6922 for more lush sound.