Pre-amp for CJ Sonograph SA250

The PV-1 to now...
mrfarnham
Beginner
Beginner

Pre-amp for CJ Sonograph SA250

Post by mrfarnham »

Hi,

My CJ SA250 is making its way across the United States due to arrive 11/27/2012. :D

I've been looking at CJ pre-amps.
Audiogon has a PF1-L and PF2-L listed.
Plus, I recently found a Premier 2, at a local audio shop.
The Premier 2 has had some repair work done.
They replaced the power supply and provide a 6 month warranty.

Based on what I've read, the PF2-L followed the PF1-L.
They are both solid state.
The Premier 2 (1981) is a tube pre-amp.

From what I understand, CJ solid state amps sound "warmer",
so I'm wondering if I need a tube pre-amp to add more "warmth".

I do like the idea of buying locally.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
Mike
Jim Treanor
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Pre-amp for CJ Sonograph SA250

Post by Jim Treanor »

Mike,

I can't speak to the PF series, but I have a later-generation solid-state Sonographe SC25 tethered to the SA250 driving standmounted Paradigm SE-1's in my bedroom system, and the overall presentation strikes me as very slightly "warm," whether the source is CD (Dan Wright-modded Pioneer DV-525) or an analog FM tuner (a Mc MR-77). It's also characterized by substantial perceived depth where the program material (typically classical) warrants it.

I have another SA250 linked to a stock tubed (6922) Counterpoint SA2000 line stage (and another pair of SE-1's) in my home-office system where the primary program source is my desktop computer's soundcard typically pumping out 24/88, 24/96, and 24/192 hi-rez FLAC files. My proximity to the speakers (I'm a lot closer) and the room acoustics differ from those in my bedroom setup, so the comparison isn't strictly apples-and-apples. The presentation here tends to be "less warm," though I suspect that's due at least in part to the soundcard supplied with my HP computer.

I'm guessing here, but given my experience with the "slightly-warm" SA250, I'd suspect that coupling it with the 1981-vintage Premier 2 would result in a fairly "romantic" presentation, lush and three-dimensional but not as detailed as what I hear with the later-vintage SC25.

FWIW.

Jim
Living Room: Premier 17LS, MF2500, Win10 laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm SE-3
Bedroom: Luminous Audio Axiom II, MF2500, Win10 Laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Home Office: Luminous Audio Axiom II, Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike,
I can give my insight on the PF2 as I used to be an owner prior to upgrading to my current PV12. So first of all, I think the PF2 is one of the most "bang for your buck" CJ components you can get on the used market. It has a "nice warm sound" for a solid state amp. No, it's not as warm as the tube based CJ preamps, but for solid state it certainly does not sound harsh. I would say it's also a neutral sound, so it's not going to drastically color the sound. It is a very "simple" design. Not too many bells or whistles (not even an on/off switch). However, what it does, it does right. I was very happy with this unit and the only reason I decided to upgrade was I was finding that I really enjoyed the "tube sound" of some of my other components. If I had to go back to the PF2 today, it would not be a major disappointment.

I can't say how much "warmth" you desire in your system. I can say that the PF2 is a very good amp especially when you factor in how inexpensive (relatively) they are. If you found a good deal on the PF2 I would not hesitate on the purchase.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike,
I have also added the PF2 to the user manual database so you can take a look at manual if it helps you make a buying decision.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mrfarnham
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mrfarnham »

Thanks for the info.

The PF2-L is $495 on Audiogon.
The seller (a dealer) indicated that is his price.

The PF1-L is listed at $600.

The Premier 2 is listed at $500, available locally.

I will take a look, at the manual.
I still have a lot to learn.
I've been reading: The Complete Guide to High-End Audio by Harley.