PV-2

The PV-1 to now...
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

PV-2

Post by rromeo923 »

Well as of tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a Conrad Johnson PV-2. It was kind of an impluse buy off of craigslist. It will hopefully replace a Yaqin MS-12b.

Wish me luck!
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: PV-2

Post by rromeo923 »

Got it today! The Yaqin will be on its way!
Very nice preamp this Pv-2!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congratulations, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Yaqin is one of the premier Chinese manufacturers but really not in the same league as CJ (IMHO). I think you will find the purchase well worth it and very rewarding! Don't forget to post some pics of you setup, I would to see what you got going there. Once gain, congrats on the purchase!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Well I couldnt help myself. I picked up a Conrad Johson MF-2200 to go along with the PV2. I only had the PV2 a couple of days and was pairing it with Parasound HCA-750. Well I have now switched out the Parasound for the Conrad Johnson and I have mixed feelings. The CJ is much more laid back and bass heavy. However, I did have a religious experience with an old Jerry Garcia album today!! The CJ combo has a really nice tone.
Still getting used to the sound of the MF 2200.
I also havent even opened up the pv2 to see what tubes it is running. I think tomorrow I will do so and take some pics.

Fun times ahead!!
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Soooo... I was listening to some more music and as is apt to happen in a tube situation. The tubes must have warmed up or whatever but it all came together and I am truly amazed!! I was feeling music, minds eye seeing it 3D , HELL YEAH!! Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here was just incredible. At the end of Shine on during the horn solo towards the end it start segueing into Welcome to the Machine. Well all of the sudden I start hearing/feeling a rumble (part of the sequel, which I had never experienced before, even listening to this album countless times.) and at that very same moment my cat jumped down from above me on the sofa. Holy Crap!! Scared me to death.

Anyway I am happy and humbled.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I look forward to seeing the pictures. If you would like, you can post pictures of the entire setup in the Member Systems Gallery topic area as well. It's been a lot of fun seeing everyones unique CJ setups. Take care, and enjoy!
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Pictures
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Can you tell if this is all stock??
Tubes are as follows
V1- 12ax7 Yugoslavia (no brand)
V2 -5751GE
V3-Sylvania 12At7
V4- 12At7 Japan (no brand)
V5-5751 GE
V6-12At7 Amperex orange globe (Made in Germany)
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

I called Conrad Johnson and got them to email me the owners manual to the PV-2 and also to a MF 2200. I can email them to the admin if you would like to post them on thisi site for anyone else who may need or be interested.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rromeo923 wrote:I called Conrad Johnson and got them to email me the owners manual to the PV-2 and also to a MF 2200. I can email them to the admin if you would like to post them on thisi site for anyone else who may need or be interested.
I have been posting schematics and service manuals for CJ components and had not originally considered doing the owners manuals. However, it seems like this could be a potential benefit for CJ owners. I had another manuals request earlier this week so it appears that this may be a useful resource. Please email me the manuals at "admin@conradjohnsonowners.com" and I will compile the other manuals I have into a nice organized download file and I will post it to the appropriate thread. Thanks!
-admin
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

rromeo923 wrote:Well I couldnt help myself. I picked up a Conrad Johson MF-2200 to go along with the PV2. I only had the PV2 a couple of days and was pairing it with Parasound HCA-750. Well I have now switched out the Parasound for the Conrad Johnson and I have mixed feelings. The CJ is much more laid back and bass heavy. However, I did have a religious experience with an old Jerry Garcia album today!! The CJ combo has a really nice tone.
Still getting used to the sound of the MF 2200.
I also havent even opened up the pv2 to see what tubes it is running. I think tomorrow I will do so and take some pics.

Fun times ahead!!
Old thread I know but I was curious what Garcia album you "experienced"???? His self titled one is a favorite of mine, also, if you like Garcia, you should check out Old and in the Way, if you havent already. Not the best recording, but most all of it is live and not bad recordings. Related to that is Acoustic Disc, which is run by David Grisman, the mandolin player for Old and in the Way, and that label has put out some AMAZING recordings. Mr. Grisman is a phenom in his own right. There are some Grisman/Garcia recordings that are VERY well done, and if you dont like that kind of acoustic music, just listen a few times and you will....

Also know what you mean about Pink Floyd. I still use the into to Money as my first demo for ANY system I evaluate.....yeah I can barely listen to the song I have heard it so many times, but those coins dropping and the register closing still send tingles. Much like the background noised on Jazz at the Pawnshop...thats the SECOND "disc" that goes into a demo for me.....

FWIW, I have the PV1 amp, and I hear they are very similar in design. I have heard many systems, tube, SS and mixed, few have sounded as good to me. Granted there is undoubtedly some psychoacoustics involved...lol. Once you "train" your ears to a certain sound your brain gets used to it and comes to expect it......at least thats what I think....;)
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Well I was searching for some info on a PV=2 and wandered into my old thread. Well I still have and use on occasion the Yaqin. Sadly my cat died. Well here I find myself and my PV-2 is having issues w/the output relay etc. I have contacted Bill Thallman at Music Technology and he says he can upgrade and modernize it for about $600 or $800 with all new tubes (Which it probably could use). I am testing out a Class D amp a friend of mine built and it is impressive. I am thinking if I bring my PV2 up to snuff some magic could happen here. However, I am wondering if I spend that money and a little more on a more modern pre would I be better off. Fyi- I have LSA 2 Standard speakers along with this and listen to Flac via USB Dac HRT Streamer II or Vinyl via Micro Seiki DD40 w/ Denon DL-110.

Anyway what do you think? Any advice?
f1jim
Beginner
Beginner

Post by f1jim »

It's still a great preamp. Keep it alive and workig!
f1jim
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Well I am leaning toward keeping and upgrading the PV2. I would love to see what Conrad Johnson Headquarters has to say about this. However every time I call I get a recording. I have left messages 3 times now. No return call. What is up with that?
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Well a gentleman from Conrad Johnson finally returned my call. He diagnosed the problems I am having as a failing power supply. He said to repair and do some upgrades about $650 plus another $300 for a new tube set. So I decided to buy an used PV12A that already was upgraded by Bill Thalmann in 2004 and serviced by CJ in 2006 and then had a new tube set of platinum cryo treated tubes by Upscale Audio. This I got for $1150. So I believe I made the right decision. I am excited to hear the difference!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great. Let us know how the new unit works as well as the sound of the new tubes.
-admin
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

So how much for the PV-2???
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Ha! Hmmmm. I may be selling my PV-2 and my MF-2200. Let me get the new pre first though. I was listening to music today and I am kinda wondering how the sound can get much better. I do like Conrad Johnson equipment.
The PV-2 is working now but If I sold it I would recommend to plan on fixing. What is happening is that there is sometimes a delay in when the music will start playing. The person at CJ said he believes the Power Supply is going bad and isnt turning on the output relay in a timely fashion. Now it never takes more than a minute at the most but it worries me. I am feeling better about the whole situation since I determined the problem with losing a channel was my old RCA interconnects.
I will let you know when I am ready to sell. Could be soon!
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Well I have had the PV-12a for a week or so and have to say it is superior to the PV-2. The most difference is in the phono stage. The PV-12a phono sounds great. The linestage is more subtle of a difference. More detail mainly. I am happy.
harsh231
New User
New User

Post by harsh231 »

Can anyone pls guide my the value of balance control pt of pv2ar pls