CJ PV-5 Tubes

The PV-1 to now...
mmmalmberg
Regular
Regular

CJ PV-5 Tubes

Post by mmmalmberg »

I have a PV-5 that didn't sound so great when I bought it so I really haven't used it. Recently I have a bit more time, well not much but just enough, and I opened it up and saw that it has a mismash of tubes; I have no way of knowing whether they were carefully selected or are just whatever someone had lying around when I bought it. More likely the latter. So I'm going to shop for a new set of tubes for it and am inviting recommendations. I don't know what the correct stock set was. Secondly, should I be concerned about replacing power supply caps? I believe that this amp has not been updated or modified since new. I'm not looking to transform it into anything more than a properly functioning PV-5. I'll be using it with a Dynaco ST-70 in excellent shape with some updates.
Last edited by mmmalmberg on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmmalmberg
Regular
Regular

Re: CJ PV-5 update

Post by mmmalmberg »

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ PV-5 Tubes

Post by admin »

That is certainly a strange mix of tubes. There are numerous good tube sets and since I don't own the PV-5 I don't want to make a recommendation and lead you down the wrong road. You probably would want to go with the same manufacturer however.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mmmalmberg
Regular
Regular

Post by mmmalmberg »

admin wrote:That is certainly a strange mix of tubes. There are numerous good tube sets and since I don't own the PV-5 I don't want to make a recommendation and lead you down the wrong road. You probably would want to go with the same manufacturer however.
Yeah I don't have a lot of experience with tubes really but I imagine it would be hard to get a good match with tubes of different manufacture. I have an email in to C.J. to see what they offer in a complete set. Actually I'm glad to hear tentative confirmation that this might not be a correct set of tubes, gives me hope that a good set of tubes might make a positive difference in sound quality (which is needed:)
unclestu52
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclestu52 »

The tube selection, while a mix of brands is OK, in terms of the tube types. In the cathode follower position where the AT7's are located, you can run an AX 7 or an AU7 also. I prefer the 12AU7: not as dynamic as the AT7 but more controlled.

It all depends on your taste here.

Stu
mmmalmberg
Regular
Regular

Post by mmmalmberg »

Thanks Stu. I now have a good set of the as-specified tubes and am going to replace p.s. caps after which it will be good to know that I can compare the more-or-less stock tube set with some of these other tubes.
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

I just bought an used CJ PV 2. How did you find out what tubes you should have in the pre?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rromeo923 wrote:I just bought an used CJ PV 2. How did you find out what tubes you should have in the pre?
I'm not sure if you are referring to general tube recommendations or the specific tube types you can use.

Different manufacturer's tubes will sound different and as I don't own the PV 2 I can't offer an opinion. Here is the specific tube types however for the PV2:
Attachments
Conrad Johnson PV 2 tube diagram
Conrad Johnson PV 2 tube diagram
tsd-PV2.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.