Conrad Johnson PV11 Preamp

The PV-1 to now...
ralphf
Regular
Regular

Conrad Johnson PV11 Preamp

Post by ralphf »

Since there was no PV11 represented here... This one was upgraded by CJ with Teflon caps. :D
Attachments
PV11.jpg
PV11.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
PV11 Insides.jpg
PV11 Insides.jpg (113.21 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Re: Conrad Johnson PV11 Preamp

Post by antaresbluespirit »

Hi Ralphf,

I like this CJ generation including phono stage and please could you tell us the sound difference betwen the PV11and ET5 you have got recently...

as you know there are controversies between the "old CJ sound " and the "new CJsound" and I have not experienced listening of the news CJ to date

Raymond
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice indeed. I have heard good things about the phono stage in the PV11 as well as the overall unit. I also like the classic design with the "handle bars" which makes it easy for rack mounting. What improvements did you notice with the teflon cap upgrades?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
ralphf
Regular
Regular

Post by ralphf »

I see I got two tough questions. First, about the difference adding the Teflon caps made, unfortunately I can’t say for sure. What happened was that I had a system for many, many years which consisted of the original PV11, a VSP Labs Trans MOS Gold amp, Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers and a Sony CDP-X555ES CD player. My amp finally died a little over two years ago but rather than just replace the amp I replaced everything except for the preamp which I had upgraded. I never actually heard the original preamp with any of my current components so I don’t have an apple to apples comparison to work with.

As to the differences between the PV11 and ET5, that I can answer. The ET5 does present a different sound than does the PV11. It took me some time to decide whether I liked the change or not. To use photography as a metaphor the PV11 seems like it creates a slightly less sharp image than does the ET5. That aspect of the ET5’s sound I liked right away. However, with the ET5 the frequency range from say 4 KHz to 8 KHz seemed somewhat too pronounced. This aspect seemed to work well with the female voices and reed instruments but not so well with male voices and instruments like the trumpet, cello or alto sax. It just didn’t seem natural at first. It took some time for me to feel comfortable with it but the more I listen the more correct it sounds and the more I like it.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have had similar experiences where I have done upgrades to my equipment and now I can't pinpoint what aspects each upgrade has changed. The best example of this is when I did the upgrades to my Jolida JD9 phono preamp. I changed the tubes, opamps, caps, and put dampening material in. I did all these upgrades at the same time (I wasn't going to pull apart the machine 4 times just for shear comparison). I'm fairly certain that the opamps made more of a difference than the dampening material but of course this is just based on assumption and the online reviews of others. I have heard many people speak highly of the teflon caps and I'm sure if you were to find a time machine and go back, you would be satisfied with the upgrade. Keep an eye out, I thought I saw a time machine driving around in town a few months ago, I think they are shaped like Deloreans! :)

Interesting impressions on the pv11 and et5 difference. I wonder if the et5 just needed some "burn-in time." Many units (especially tube based ones) benefit from a varying amount of burn in that often can go above 100 hours of use. Congrats on the purchases!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Bluesbob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bluesbob »

I also have a PV11. It is my third pre. I went from a receiver based system to separates in '92.
My first pre was a top-of-the-line Rotel with phono and remote volume control. I ran this with both a Rotel amp and a c-j MV52, into Alon I speakers with Alon's bi-wired speaker cables. Front end was a Rega 2 with BP2 and a Rotel CD player. ICs were by Kimber (pbj). The sound, as I remember it was dry and etched, especially with CD.
My second pre was a VTL Minimus with phono, using two 12ax7's for the phono stage, like the PV11, but without the buffer stage. I ran this mostly with the MV52 and Alons. The VTL used two 12at7's in the line stage. I picked up an API line conditioner and IC's by Alpha-core. The sound was still on the dry side, but with more depth in the soundstage and better bass.
When I replaced the VTL with the PV11 it was a major change. Much more bass, a feeling of openness and body to instruments and voices, yada-yada-yada. BIG improvement. I was definitely on the way to real high-end sound. It is the only component left in my soon-to-be present system.
I replaced the Rega with a VPI HW19 mkIII with Benz-Micro Ace, switched speakers to Maggie II's and ran through a series of amps by Threshold, Forte and VSP Labs (TM150). I finally bought a Sonographe SA400, which is what I used for about four months prior to moving. Cabling changed to Silver Sonic Q-10 speaker and Air Matrix IC. I have a CA 840 for CD and iPod.
"What, me worry?"
foothillphile
Regular
Regular

Post by foothillphile »

Hi, I have owned a PV11 from new. Several years back I got a poping sound in one channel when on phono.

I realized this to be a leaking coupling cap. Being rural and pre computer, I opped for a radio shack replacement

cap to make do. Now it's time to replace that (noisy cap) and it's complement cap in the other channel. Question

is, do I contact CJ and see if I can get a replacement cap from them, or replace with on-line available caps, which brings

up what type?? The value is .15MFD 200VDC, it's a CJ cap even dated 92-08. should I look for teflon or poly or? :?: ?

Sugestions?

Vince