CJ phono stages

The PV-1 to now...
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

CJ phono stages

Post by bear »

Has anyone on these forums compared the TEA2 MAX to the TEA1 series 2? I would love to hear your opinions on these phono stages. Thanks.
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Re: CJ phono stages

Post by Bill Stevenson »

I would also like to hear opinions on this very same subject. My TEA2MAX is the 55 db gain version and I use it with a Bob's Devices SKY10 SUT, set to 5:1 and my current favorite cartridge is an Ortofon Per Windfeld.
TonyPlachy
New User
New User

Post by TonyPlachy »

I am new here, but I have owned c-j amps since 2002 (I will post more about my system and its evolution later in the system sub-forum). In 2002 I got a c-j P15 S2 phono stage (along with some other c-j amps) which has 53 dB gain. I used it with an MC cartridge that has 0.8 mV output and it worked very well. In late 2015 I decided to do one more major upgrade to my system (I am an early boomer and figure one more upgrade is all I have left in me). Although I did not plan it this way the first thing I upgraded was my TT, I managed to get one of the last VPI Classic Direct TT's in the market. It is wonderful TT and I had a better cartridge that has 0.7 mV output waiting for the new TT. It all sounded good, but then Harry Weisfeld turned me onto the Ortofon A95 with its 0.2 mV output ( BEWARE - low output MC cartridges can be addictive and very hard on your wallet ).

I knew that the 0.2 mV output and the 53 dB gain of the P15 would not work, so I started to look for a new phono stage. After some research I told Michael Fremer my story and sent him the list I made of possible phone stages and asked him what two or three were the best? Instead of telling me which ones to audition Mikey said that if I really like the sound of my P15 why don't I just get a SUT to make the A95 work with P15. I mentioned the idea of a SUT to Harry and he said talk to Bob' Devices and get the SUT that replaces the junction box on VPI TT's. Bob got me the right SUT (20:1) and a great price on the A95. Since my P15 is a Series 2 (meaning it had the power supply upgrade already) I got the Teflon capacitor upgrade (which the factory burns-in for three weeks as part Iof the upgrade). When I play vinyl my GAT S2 volume level is 18 - 24 depending on how hot the vinyl was pressed and how loud I want the music.

I made another cartridge change last year to an Ortofon MC Century (I said the damn things can be addictive :roll: ) and I think when I play vinyl the sound is wonderful. I do, however, wonder if the P15 S2 with the Teflon cap upgrade is in the same league as the TEA phono stages. The guys at c-j said the sound would be like the TEA's, but I would welcome anyone's opinion on that.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Regarding the OP, Bill Stevenson has posted in a later thread that he auditioned a dealer’s TEA1s3 against his TEA2MAX HG. He ended up buying the TEA1s3.

I also have a TEA2MAX HG. I bought a TEA1b and had CJ upgrade with caps and transformers to TEA1, but not s2 or s3.

I think Bill would agree with me that the TEA2MAX HG is a killer phono equalization preamp (TEA stands for Triode Equalization Amplifier). But clearly we both thought the TEA1 won the comparo. And we plunked down our cash.

I don’t know if Bill still has his TEA2MAX HG, but I do have mine. It is in my second system with a Lyra Kleos and a mid spec LP12. I never feel like I’m compromising when I listen to it, but when I play the main system with high spec LP12 and Lyra Etna (at another house), I do get more goosebumps.

Both TEA phono amps are genuine high end. I’ve had many others from Linn, Audio Research, Levinson, Marantz, Rega, NAD, McIntosh, Scott ... the CJ TEA series is the real deal with my gear.

YMMV
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am listening to Diana Krall’s Stepping Out in the TEA2MAX HG system right now. It sounds GREAT!!

I can’t imagine better ... great detail, believable transients and tone, inky silence, plenty of space around well defined voice and instruments.

I will probably be further amazed on Friday in the TEA1 system ... but without the comparison, the TEA2MAX HG is a bucket list kinda phono preamp.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

FYI, I do not still have my TEA2MAX HG, but agree with everything AJ has written about it here.

Bill