ET3 burn in period?

The PV-1 to now...
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Re: ET3 burn in period?

Post by Jazzz »

JONTY wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:54 pm Hi Jazz,
I’d consider not using your new Tesla tube to burn your ET3 in as it will take its toll on it if your full tilt 24/7.
Listen to it by all means but it won’t be meaningful until the ET3 is fully performing and you’ll be wasting a good tube.
I’d stick your EH back and let that take the hit... just put up with the hiss for now, particularly as you know that was the problem. It’ll be weeks 4-6 minimum before you’ll reap any benefits from your ET3.
Keep going it’s worth it my ET3 took months and my ET5 is still improving now two months on and expect it to to do so for months to come.
Happy Listening.
Jonty.
Jonty,
I am listening to the system all the time when I am home, so i'm fine.
Also, looking forward to installing a still better tube, like a Mullard or something. So I am good. Thanks.
Last edited by Jazzz on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Jazz,
You’ll find that as your ET3 Settles down your tubes will sound very different at the end of this process.
Your tube pecking order will probably be different from what you thought initially So once your ET3 is fully burnt in test all your tubes again as you’ll be surprised as to what you thought you didn’t like now sounds very different.... also tubes need to be burnt in 20-50 hours as a rule of thumb.
It’s a frustrating process but ultimately rewarding. The Golden Lion tube is well worth a go for the money big soundstage slightly forward and brightly lit it is very different to the mullard you mention which is very smooth and warm sounding with an excellent mid but more laidback sounding.
Hope this helps.
jonty.
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

JONTY wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:46 am Hi Jazz,
You’ll find that as your ET3 Settles down your tubes will sound very different at the end of this process.
Your tube pecking order will probably be different from what you thought initially So once your ET3 is fully burnt in test all your tubes again as you’ll be surprised as to what you thought you didn’t like now sounds very different.... also tubes need to be burnt in 20-50 hours as a rule of thumb.
It’s a frustrating process but ultimately rewarding. The Golden Lion tube is well worth a go for the money big soundstage slightly forward and brightly lit it is very different to the mullard you mention which is very smooth and warm sounding with an excellent mid but more laidback sounding.
Hope this helps.
jonty.
Thanks, Jonty. Will try it.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Let us know how you get on.
Jonty.
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

JONTY wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 pm Let us know how you get on.
Jonty.
I certainly will.
However, the CJ is not my biggest concern right now: I bought a secondhand pair of Vandersteen Quatro speakers and one of the midwoofers seems to be defective. I bought them with delivery from another city and discovered this in a week after the arrival (I was out of town). The seller is assuring me that all was ok on dispatch.
So I am having a difficult task of diagnosing the problem and fixing it, myself being in Russia and Vandersteen in the US :( . It is also keeping me from truly enjoying the rest of my setup, which is also new to my house (incl the CJ).
Otherwise will keep you posted.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Jazzz,
Well that’s frustrating how did you pay...!! Id be very surprised if the driver would suddenly be defective unless it had taken a huge knock in transit and if so there shoud be evidence of this, with the box very obviously damaged. Did they come in vandersteen boxes...? Also for the drive unit to be defective it would have had to have taken a direct hit. If there is no obvious evidence of them being dropped with damage to the mid driver itself and If all seems well otherwise I would suspect the the midwoofer was proplamatic before you received them even if the seller wasn’t aware of this.
Jonty.
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

JONTY wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 pm Hi Jazzz,
Well that’s frustrating how did you pay...!! Id be very surprised if the driver would suddenly be defective unless it had taken a huge knock in transit and if so there shoud be evidence of this, with the box very obviously damaged. Did they come in vandersteen boxes...? Also for the drive unit to be defective it would have had to have taken a direct hit. If there is no obvious evidence of them being dropped with damage to the mid driver itself and If all seems well otherwise I would suspect the the midwoofer was proplamatic before you received them even if the seller wasn’t aware of this.
Jonty.
Hi Jonty,
I feel so too, but the seller insists everything was ok. No original packaging, the speakers were personally delivered by seller's friend.
Anyway, looking into this matter more
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi,
Well I hope you can get it sorted, just out of interest what seems to be wrong with the driver...
Jonty.
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

JONTY wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 am Hi,
Well I hope you can get it sorted, just out of interest what seems to be wrong with the driver...
Jonty.
The driver produces distorted sound. I believe it is not the driver itself but some of the parts in the crossover, but Richard Vandersteen thinks it must be the driver. Says there's nothing that could go wrong on the crossover...
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Yes he will be correct however it can only be damaged in that way through having current and a signal pass through it, the extent of the damage will be obvious when listening to the other driver in your other speaker.
Good luck you should get it resolved,
Hifi can be a frustrating hobby especially when you have just purchased new equipment and all you want to do is listen to it.
Let us know how you get on Jazzz.
jonty.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. I am going to chime here a little bit more. Usually that problem is due to one of the Lead coil cable that it is touching the speaker cone. Address the cable in a such manner that the lead cable does not touches it. Check this out, it might be your problem.

Another possibility is that during transport to Russia, the box could be dropped or a hit. The magnet of that particular driver could be out of alignment and could be touching the coil. Here it is hard to do it. Take it to a speakers repair shop, and they will check the unit. With much care, you could push the cone in and out, and if you listen or feel a scratch, you have to take it for magnet-coil alignment.

My 2 cents.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

:evil:
roberto wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:09 pm Hola. I am going to chime here a little bit more. Usually that problem is due to one of the Lead coil cable that it is touching the speaker cone. Address the cable in a such manner that the lead cable does not touches it. Check this out, it might be your problem.

Another possibility is that during transport to Russia, the box could be dropped or a hit. The magnet of that particular driver could be out of alignment and could be touching the coil. Here it is hard to do it. Take it to a speakers repair shop, and they will check the unit. With much care, you could push the cone in and out, and if you listen or feel a scratch, you have to take it for magnet-coil alignment.

My 2 cents.
Happy listening!
Roberto,
Thanks. These are second-hand speakers, personally delivered by the seller in his car. Yes this might be physical damage, but somehow it does not sound as such.
I will research on this issue - most probably this weekend- and report.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Jazzz,

I have this problem more usual that you could think. I do not why, but the truck moving on the road could cause this, and the distortion is evident. It sounds horrible. Just be sure that no cable is touching the speaker´s cone. Also, when the alignment of the magnet is not well centered, part of the magnet could touch the cone´s coil. Just sometimes you get the distortion. This happens too with the touching lead cable at the cone. I do believe the Mr. Richard is right regarding the driver. If you want to be sure, just swap the mid woofers. One is right and the other is odd. Change them. If the same driver is doing the distortion, you found the problem.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

roberto wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:01 pm Jazzz,

I have this problem more usual that you could think. I do not why, but the truck moving on the road could cause this, and the distortion is evident. It sounds horrible. Just be sure that no cable is touching the speaker´s cone. Also, when the alignment of the magnet is not well centered, part of the magnet could touch the cone´s coil. Just sometimes you get the distortion. This happens too with the touching lead cable at the cone. I do believe the Mr. Richard is right regarding the driver. If you want to be sure, just swap the mid woofers. One is right and the other is odd. Change them. If the same driver is doing the distortion, you found the problem.
Happy listening!
I spoke to a great guy from Audiogon forum, a Mr. John Rutan from Audioconnection, located in NJ. He is one of the best Vandy dealers AND an extremely accommodating and helpful gentleman. He suggested some very simple, but very helpful things to determine what's faulty. Will do as he suggested this weekend.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Excellent it should also determin the cause of the problem.
Jonty.
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

JONTY wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:42 am Excellent it should also determin the cause of the problem.
Jonty.
Well, it's the driver. Took it out completely, checked it, it's off center.
The seller suggested to take the speakers back, but I want to keep them.
So next week the driver is going to California.
CJ is burning in.
Will probably look for a Golden Lion Genalex, as you suggested. The Vandies have a somewhat dark sound, so the Golden Lion will probably make it brighter.
Thanks for your input Jonty, Roberto, everybody.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Bad news and good news. Bad because you have to spend some money for a new driver. Good, because you found the problem.
Its going to take for you some time for the new driver. Please keep us posted regarding your findings.
Happy listening!
Jazzz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzz »

roberto wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:12 am Bad news and good news. Bad because you have to spend some money for a new driver. Good, because you found the problem.
Its going to take for you some time for the new driver. Please keep us posted regarding your findings.
Happy listening!
Roberto,
You are spot-on.
Sure will.
Thanks for your empathy.

Best,
Andrey
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Andrey,
I would suggest when you get your driver back that (as a good will gesture) that seller considers sharing some of the cost depending how much this turns out to be. However as Roberto says at least you can now fix the problem and finally get on to listening to some music...!!
Jonathan.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Roberto,
I keep meaning to ask how’s your ET7 Sounding with the PWR amp...? I’m assuming it’s fully broken in now....
Jonathan,