Successful PV7 - home repair

The PV-1 to now...
Elrick
Regular
Regular

Successful PV7 - home repair

Post by Elrick »

Just thought I would share a small victory. Yesterday while listening to my PV7 the left channel dropped out and the volume and balance pots had no effect. I checked my tubes and examined the board carefully for anything obviously, but saw nothing. And hooked up my back-up preamp and feared the worse.

Today after removing the face plate and bottom cover I was able to take off the rectangular volume pot's cover and check it out. I sprayed the fine metal brush-like contacts with a bit of Deoxit D5, exercised the pot, and sprayed it off w/ compressed air. I only had good access to either the left or right channel of the pot, since there was another pot below the one I could see and was afraid of taking it apart any more. I got lucky, and it's sounding better than ever. Volume and balance work good!

Fingers crossed, my modified Dynaco PAS 3 wasn't cutting it.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Successful PV7 - home repair

Post by admin »

Nice job! As our equipment ages, they sometimes need a little loving care to get them back to their former glory.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Elrick
Regular
Regular

Re: Successful PV7 - home repair

Post by Elrick »

Yeah, it's probably over 30 yrs old. The only thing left for my little job is to re-seat the power "ON" light. It's not getting much light out the face!