New phono.

The PV-1 to now...
JONTY
Pro
Pro

New phono.

Post by JONTY »

Hi All,
Haven't been here for a while as I had a posting overseas so been busy with work.
I have a ET3 with the phono stage. (non se version) high gain, but can buy a Tea2SE at a very good price.
What I would like to do is buy this and then go to either an ET3SE line stage or try to get a ET5 at
A good price now the ET7 has arrived.

So my question is, will the Tea2SE be a big step up in performance over both the non se phono stage in my ET3 and over the ET3SE with its phono stage.
As the Tea2SE has its own dedicated power supply and is housed in its own separate box. (so should be better in theory)
And is the ET5 a significant improvement over ET3SE line stage only to justify the cost differential using it with the Tea2SE phono stage.

One of the reasons I want to go down this route is because having a separate phono stage means you only use it when you need too saves Valve life etc over the integrated phono within my ET3 pre that is on all the time regardless of what I'm listening too CD or Records.

Also does anybody know if CJ equipment rated at 220v 50-60 hertz is fine to use in the U.K. 240v 60 hertz I've heard that CJ make all there European models to work all over Europe regardless of the differences even though they label them differently so 220v will work with 240v and also the other way round.

Big dog thanks for your last reply to my post a while back.
Cheers,
Jonathan
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Re: New phono.

Post by JONTY »

Have Now purchased a Tea2SE along with an ET3SE line stage.
So have put my ET3 with phono Hi Gain up for sale, it can be found in classified section.

I got both units at a good price so decided to go ahead.
Any thoughts from people who have experience of the the se version impovemt would be welcome.
I know the teflon caps take 400-500 burn in.
Thanks,
Jonathan.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

What's happening to this site still no comments or info forth coming from members.
I have just purchased a new ET5 Pre amp Along with a TEA2 SE phono stage and will repot back my findings over and above my ET3 (not the SE version) with Phono stage. Both are the High Gain versions.
Can anybody who owns an ET5 and TEA2 SE phono stage tell me what the improvements should be and or there own experiences.
ET3 to ET3SE to ET5.
Many thanks,
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Jonty. The difference between the ET-3 to the ET-3 Special Edition (SE) are in the components basically. The SE version uses the Teflon Caps and metal foil resistors. The Teflon caps have the property to keep the capacitance at all working voltages. The capacitance in other type of capacitors, varies with the working voltages. In other words, if you apply 1 Volt and then 2 Volts, the capacitance with the Teflon material, will keep the same capacitance. With the metal foil resistors, these resistors have the property to be less noisy than the carbon resistors...this is a great feature, because your system S/R will improve some dB where the micro-dynamics are. Also with high-resolution signal, the benefit is an improve overall sound with better timbre, air between instruments and also greater soundstage. Some might say this is not that important, other will say it is important.
The ET-5 is an interesting beast! Its one the best preamplifiers on the market place on these days. Its a very well built preamplifier with outstanding resolution, stage, and truly sense of 3D. A much better unit than the ET-3SE. What it does, is an effortless sound and top-match quality parts inside, making all these, to allow you to have a wonderful sound from Conrad Johnson compared almost to their top of the line, the Gat.
When your route your cables of your turntable, watch to not be adjacent to any AC power cable. It could get an unwanted 60Hz noise due to its proximity. Keep your audio cables away of the power cables.
Congratulation with your new purchase. You will be in heaven with those units...happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Roberto,
Thank you for your detailed reply, it was very helpful, I'm already hearing lots of improvements in the TE2SE with only 50 hours or so on it.
I'll post a more detailed post after the ET5 arrives next Wednesday.
Do you own an ET5 also...?
Jonathan.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I did long time ago, but now I am a very happy owner of the ET-7, which is the latest preamp that it´s replacing the ET-5. You do not worry, the ET-5 is a superb preamplifier with many detail and huge sound stage. The timbre of the musical instruments is breathtaking. I assure you that you will be discovering all your music in a new way! You never thought that right there, in your own music were really all those fantastic musicians playing with your main artist. Enjoy! and happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Roberto,
Thanks for the feedback and congratulations on your new ET7 and a great looking set up you have too...!!
Very much looking forward to getting the ET5 which should arrive tomorrow :D.
Decided also to purchase a Premier 350SA to replace my MF250 so everything should gel nicely.
Jonathan.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hi Jonathan.
I do know that you will be in Heaven soon. You got a marvellous preamplifier and also a great amp! All I do know: C-J sounds right!
Happy listening! and regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Thanks Roberto,
You know that if I ever make it too that part of the world, your going to have to put that famous Costa Coffee on,
because I'll be coming straight over to you, so I can listen to that System of yours...!!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Jonathan,
We have a saying here which it is: mi casa es su casa (my house is your house) ... my system is your system. Anytime, love to have you here, with coffee or good wine. I did studied when I was a kid, classical guitar...this is a tweak that I have, because they do resonate with the music, making to have less decay in general. This is only a little decay, there is a very crystal clear sound, with great stage and truly sense of 3D. and I do have them in my bat-cave, where my wife allows me to have all my mess. Also, I do like all kind of music. You are very welcome.
Happy listening!
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Thank You Roberto,
Your a true gent, my Premier 350SA arrived yesterday but sadly was not as described so it will have to go back to the seller....!!
The good news is the ET5 has now cleared customs and is being delivered to me on Monday.
If you come to London then you are very welcome to come and stay with me also.
I'll keep you updated as to how the system progresses at least I've heard the 350SA now and am very impressed and now know another one will find a home in my System hopefully soon.....
Last edited by JONTY on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Jonathan, enjoy your new toys! Conrad Johnson goods are built with very high quality parts. And also, their design is simple. Conrad Johnsons just sounds right!
Happy listening and please keep us posted with your findings.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Thanks Roberto,
will do,
I agree with the CJ's Philosophy, shortest signal path, using the least amount of components you can get away with.
I will now be Keeping the 350SA as I managed to get a good discount from the original seller so it's costing me £3500 which is about £1000 under market value, I can fix the cosmetics with a bit of spray paint.
Also it sounds stunning, notably you can hear the difference/improvement over the out going MF2500... im pretty sure I also prefer it to any of the krells I've owned in the past, and just as importantly seems a particularly good match with my Audio Physic Avanti's, its really improved pretty much every aspect of there performance, and I'm just using a £100 Passive until the ET5 arrives on Monday....
So far so good.... but now the real torture begins...... Teflon Caps....!!
Jonty.
Last edited by JONTY on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Jonathan, what I did for bring down the break in time, was with Internet music (youtube) and left 24 hours continuous playing at a moderate level, where it did not disturb anybody at the house. The first 100 hours were crucial, the change for good was astonishing, and when I got the 400 hours (+-) everything snapped...size of the instruments, timbre, stage, sense of 3D, voices with not sore throat, air between the instruments. My CLXs are very demanding with quality...if you give them it, the more that you get for good. I never thought that I could be listening this quality here with me. Conrad Johnson had made this huge difference! First with the Classic One Twenty SE, and now with the ET-7. Before, I was feeding the signal from my Exasound E-32 DAC to an Anthem Audio and Video Processor that I use for HT (movies and concerts), and the overall sound was not what I was searching. So a dear friend told me, why not feeding the DAC signal direct to the preamp, and I did it. What a big difference for good I got! Now, I am truly in Heaven...everything is right!
Happy listening Jonathan! You will be in Heaven too, very soon!
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Roberto,
I'm going to use some burn in tones that I downloaded from the Apple Store to my iPhone and run it through the Dac input via the USB on my (Marantz CD Player SA 14 S1) That way I can just run it 24/7 without having the power amp and speakers on all the time. I can also crank up the volume to around 65% l will then turn it off over night periodically (every 3 days or so) to allow the caps to fully discharge and charge up and reform again. This should help speed up the process.

I'll keep using the passive so I can listen to records as I'm still burning in the TEA2SE and periodically have a session with the ET5 to see how it's sounding. The app has a timer, so I'll be able to track its progress about every 50 hours or so (2 days)
Wish me luck and patience :lol:
Jonty.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

That's the best way to do it...I recommend to you to listen some music during the process so, you can tell the marvelous change for good in the magical journey for stage, timbre, size of the instruments, and vocals. We have here another great Conrad Johnson user who says this process is not necessary.
Remember to give you some time to accustomed for your new improved sound. At the beginning, because our immediate memory is so short, we need to listen more time, playing our special musician(s) and this is a must. Because the change is so dramatic, we have to understand what's going on.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say! I wish to you a very happy listening Jonty. Enjoy and have fun!
Roberto.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Thanks Roberto,
The great thing about about improving your system rather than it sounding different (which people often think of as improvement) is rediscovering your Record/CD collection even getting out stuff you haven't played for years....
And that's why we do it sometimes getting a little lost on the way....!! :oops:
I'll report back but the Premier 350sa is proving to be a revalation... :o
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Jonty, that's what is going to happen to you. Re-discovering all your music or should I say the musician(s) playing for you there...in your own place. This is what I do like most.
I am really a frustrated musician. When I was attending to College, being 18 years old or so, I had been receiving classical guitar lessons, and I was spending a lot of time on the guitar...five or six hours every day. My dad told me that he needed to talk to me, and he said please seat at the sofa in the living room. He started to talk to me saying that he had noticed all the time that I was putting on it. Then he asked to me the big question: are you going to pay your bills and life expenses with the guitar? And he continued: I recommend to you to not to do that. And do you know why? Because you are not that good! If you were that good, perhaps you will be in Berklee College or similar. You do know that I had supported you with your music teachers since you were 12 years old. And also, the teacher that you wanted...he continued saying: Don't get me wrong. I love listening to you playing the guitar, your mom, your brother, your friends...but paying the life bills is another history. You must be exceptional. And you are not. You are an average musician, which had studied hard and good technique. Why don't you study another thing that you like and this will pay your bills, and keep playing for us, or your friends. Coming from my dad, I ended studying electronics.
A little about me.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Jonty,

Trust you are keeping well. Sorry for the late reply or no reply... was relocated to head a new store, hence busy with work/projects and rugby/footy finals in Melbourne. The Melbourne Storm won last night! go the stooorm! "no ordinary team". that's their slogan by the way.

Now getting back to the audio: fantastic stuff mate! Yes, as Roberto has already described, the ET5 is an outstanding preamp. The only thing with this newer design from CJ, is due to keeping circuits simpler, the single tube that they use in the ET5 is able to handle input stages in parallel. What this means is compared to other designs, where either 2 or 4 tubes are used as pairs, this single tube does all the work. Therefore, as time goes by, you will need to change the tube more often than compared to having a bank of tubes that share the load...

The ET5 is known for eating tubes pretty quickly compared to say the ACT2 or Premier 16LS, or CT5. Have a few tubes on stock in case you need spares. These are a bit costly from CJ but are worth having, since it sounds extra-ordinary (like the Melbourne storm...)

If you matching this pre with a Premier 350, that will be one hec of a pre-power combination at its best! The drive factor will be tremendous, you will get an expansive soundstage, with superb depth and imaging, along with some superb explosive transients and impact from the Prem350. The speed and acceleration is second to none with the Prem350. It can go from zero to 100 in lightning speed, and with panel transducers, this speed is remarkable. Matched with a tube power amp would be the ultimate but the Prem350 is a very special kind of amp ever made by CJ. It is very powerful yet delivers all the subtle shading and nuances from every minute detail on the recording. High quality recordings will sound marvelous!

If you want a warmer sound, you could match the ET5 with any of CJ's tube power amps but that warmer/relaxing sound is not for everyone, and especially after you've lived with a prem350, it is very hard to let it go. CJ's tube power amps can match up to the quality and finesse of the Prem350 but that sheer power of the 350 is only found on the Prem350 and nothing else. I think this is one amp you may want to keep for the long term, you won't be disappointed.

The ET5 will come and go, after a while, you may upgrade down the line or may even end up with an ACT2 series 2. This is a very special kind of ACT2 unlike no other and was my last preamp that I used. I don't miss it that much, since now I'm using the CAV45 and it eliminates the line stage altogether. Therefore, I don't need to worry about gain stages, just simple passive attenuation is what the CAV45 does, and it does a marvelous job!

Well done Jonty, the ET5 & Prem350SA is SOTA right there! That is one superb match up and will sound even better if and when you may want to upgrade your speakers... something to think about rather than upgrading electronics because this is already at the top, unless you were going to spend equivalent of a house price to get better sound- The GATS2 and ART monoblocks or ARTsa anniversary edition with KT150's is the only probable upgrade. Personally I wouldn't go there, since that will be replaced eventually. Just enjoy mate!

Have a good one, RJ
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Roberto,
What a great story.... your dad did his job, I think all dads should be like yours.
Your love for music remains undimished, your posts are written with such passion and enthusiasm,
I used to sell high end kit, and it was interesting meeting so many different people, the very different approaches people would take to putting a system together, some just wanted detail detail and timing others would take a very analytical approach and some just wanted you to recommend equipment to them and would be happy with that, others wanted to be emotionally connected to the music as their priority.
I firmly fall into the latter category.... when I hear a female vocalist I want her in the room with me .... which is why I value a 3 Dimensional image so much, I like to be enveloped in the music... As I write I'm listening to U2 Through the Premier 350sa and it sounds so musical, with exceptional detail and at the same time so integrated, it has incredible drive slam and dynamics, but most importantly, Bono's passion and the emotion he's singing with really comes thorough, he's in focus right here in front of me.
I think Big dog hit the nail on the head with how he describes the Premier 350SA.
Now I'm just sitting here waiting for the door bell to ring, to take delivery of the ET5...!!
Jonty.