New phono.

The PV-1 to now...
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New phono.

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Jonty, how's it going...

Well we had the Melbourne Hifi show last weekend, went off ok, not that great to mention. I had posted a strong review of it on Stereonet (Aussie version of Whats Best Forum) and had apparently upset quite a number of people... so in my good faith, I re-posted an apology to all who were offended, and posted that again on WBF as well just to cover any international Aussies out there. So hopefully haven't done too much damage!

I also managed to listen to a pair of heavily modified Apogee's- Studio Ribbon Array. Everything was modified, from the amps top down to the power board and cords. Total cost was nearly 30 grand for upgrades/mods, and the sound was stunning but I still prefer the CLX's. Their transparency in the midrange and top end airy highs with CJ amplification is like no other!

I am now enjoying my Ethos very much, since it has now evolved onto another level especially driven with the Classic 60SE, and PV15- a superb combination! I am not looking to upgrade anything for a while. We also have a new house being built, which would be ready only in 2018 end, so I am looking forward to the much larger space in the lounge that will further enhance the performance of the Ethos again. At this point having gone through so many different systems and gear, including disasters along the way, I can firmly say that this one gives me the most satisfaction overall and didn't cost a fortune to acquire. Wish I had come across this path before and saved the pennies and ridiculous amount of spend.

Yes, although I would have preferred a Classic pre to match with the Classic amp, since the PV15 has been upgraded to SE version, which I feel is very similar to the ET3SE standard, I will keep this preamp for now. If ever there was an upgrade to happen from here, it could perhaps be the ET5 or ET7 but that extra bit of refinement and resolution is not really justified in terms of spend, especially when we are paying up a lot of Aussie dollars compared to $USD...

The Martin Logan's on the other hand, the new Masterpiece series Renaissance 15A is a superb hybrid stat speaker, and so is the Classic 9. I'm not sure if the Classic 9 has built in DSP or is powered though? If you can cough out the extra spend, go for a ML hybrid that has built in DSP, 24bit digital filters and powered bass drivers that can be controlled, this makes a huge difference! The efficiency factor is also quite high, around the 91*92dB range, making the hybrid powered systems a much better match with medium powered amplifiers. I also believe that medium powered amps are far more musical compared to high powered ones, especially tube amps.

What I have learned along the way is the more tubes, causes more heat to be generated, plus higher degradation along the way, and other anomalies if micro-phonics... if you were to consider larger tube amps, monoblocks would be the way to go, rather than big stereo tube amps, having 8 to 16 tubes located on a single chassis. Monoblocks are far more efficient and reliable, plus easier to maintain if there were only 4 otuput tubes per amp, rather than 8! and things can get complicated.

My CJ dealer dubby currently has a pair of LP125 mono's going for a steal! I was nearly closing the deal but when I listened intently to the
Classic 60SE, there was greater musicality and plenty of headroom to bring out that extra slam and impact, hence the extra power on the LP125m's was not necessary for the Ethos. Perhaps on larger transducers, yes. Also the LP125m's were not "SE" standard, therefore didn't have all those SE goodies... I believe the upgrade SE versions that CJ does are superb and the sonic performance goes up another level which you can certainly feel straight away. Otherwise the standard versions are also value for money and are extremely good, whichever you can afford.

I also recently came across the Audio Research gear having this SE upgrades but they certainly do not sound anything like CJ! The ARC gear is good but to me it's a larger sound, sort of expanded, and may seem unnatural on certain recordings but there are many who prefer this type of bloated affect, especially in the soundstage.

Will be touch and have a good one mate, enjoy your cj gear & the music!
Cheers, RJ
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

:D
Last edited by JONTY on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Rj.
Thanks for the input, I’ve been looking at the ML Classic 9 and your right to think it’s not powered, however this for me would. be a better
Choice with my Premier 350SA firstly it has the power to drive the stat and the woofers without any issues that I could think of.
So enough power on tap, also Class D amplification might be at odds with a valve or my amp as I’m sure the continuity of Sound might be something I’d want to get right with Class D.amplification.

l would recommend anybody to audition the active series first to make sure it’s a good match with whatever amp they want to use to drive the stat, although it is worth noting that the cross over from the the stat to the woofer is quite low down so the stat is doing most of the work which will benefit the Class D by only only augmenting the very low base and will have the requisite speed to keep up with the Panel
Of course.
I’ve read that it’s very tight linear base not bloomy or overly warm so you’d want some sort of continuity that I’ve mentioned here as a nice warm sound from a valve amp driving the stat but then what could be a very tight dry base from the Class D amplification and metal cone might be at odds with each other.
I’ll wait for a pair of Classic 9 to appear at a good price before considering them and just enjoy what I have now. I can see myself heading down that road in the nearish future though but it’s now time to listen to some 🎶
Good luck with your house build by the way..!!
ATB.
Jonty.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh yes! I forgot you had the Prem350, that big fella will drive anything!

The Prem350 is not just pure muscle but also a very high level of musicality with tremendous speed, control and power. On a stat panel, this thing will just take off! It will take your entire system to another level of realism.

Yes, the Classic 9 would certainly be a good match with your Prem350- in fact that will be one top notch SOTA system right there! And probably all you would ever require...

Good one, now I'm getting very excited, let me know as soon as you land one!
Cheers, RJ