Which preamp for Premier ElevenA?

The PV-1 to now...
Nando22
Regular
Regular

Which preamp for Premier ElevenA?

Post by Nando22 »

Hi everyone.

I am an proud and recent owner of a Conrad Johnson gear. I just to arrive to this forum. I have got a Premier Eleven A amp whit ProAc speakers. I am really satisfied.

A question please. :?:

I am looking for a preamp suitable for the Eleven A. In first, I am thinking in these options PV12, Premier 14, Classic o Classic 2.
My budget around 1K in used market. Any other recomendation and why?

I live in Europe, in Spain.

Thanks very much for your help.
Regards.
Nando22
Regular
Regular

Re: Which preamp for Premier ElevenA?

Post by Nando22 »

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't have too much experience with all the units you mention (although I'm sure they would be very good). I do own the PV12 and I think it is one of the great "bargain purchases" for CJ gear. You should be easily be able to find one for under $1k.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Nando22
Regular
Regular

Post by Nando22 »

Ok Admin, thanks again for your input. I agree, I think the PV12 is an option now. But is hard to find one for under 1k.
I will be patient. 8-)

Greetings!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Prices will vary, just have to keep looking. There is a PV12's on ebay right now for $1200 (with best offer option). Not sure how low the seller would go.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Nando22
Regular
Regular

Post by Nando22 »

Ok,Thanks!!!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate, Greetings from Melbourne.

Those preamps you mentioned are all great and will match very well with your Prem 11. They all have slightly different flavors:
The pv12 will give you a warm musical sound, with an expansive soundstage. Partnered with the prem 11 will deliver superb dimensional depth.

The prem 14 and pv 12 are much older designs compared to the Classic pre. Although the classic pre is not quite up to premier standard, it is based on a very simple circuit, no frills, less features and less control knobs to play with. Having said that, the classic is also offered in a SE version, and this version has higher quality parts, allowing music reproduction at a higher level, which you can compare to premier standards.

Also, the pv12 can be upgraded with high quality parts and mods, arriving at a superb preamp with all the features required, other than remote.

The choice is yours, obviously based on what you can spend. my personal preference would be the following:
1. classic 2Se or classic se
2. pv12
3. premier 14

Based on overall sonic performance, the prem 14 would outclass all the above. However, the prem 14 is a much older design and will require some maintenance and service down the line. If you are willing to spend these extra amounts to maintain the prem 14 and keep it in top condition, then that would be a first choice.

If you are looking for something to enjoy at least for a few years without having to think about any foreseeable service issues, any of the classic preamps will serve you well.
Cheers and all the best!
RJ
Nando22
Regular
Regular

Post by Nando22 »

Hi RJ !

Thanks a lot!
I ´m glad for your answer, it is a clear and informed opinion.
Is not easy to find second hand items from CJ gear in Europe. Available options will be important. Well I don´t be in a hurry.
Classic SE (one o two) or Premier 14 are now my first options.
Opinions in this foro are very useful for me.

Greetings.
F
Nando22
Regular
Regular

Post by Nando22 »

I have news.
I just got a good Pre14 for the Pre11 + ProAc.
For the moment I am very happy. Romantic and lush sound. :D
I am preparing some tubes and materials for improve it.

Thanks a lot for your help and advice.
Fantastic forum... CJO

Regards.
Fernando.