Premier 6 Phono Help Needed

The PV-1 to now...
flyong
New User
New User

Premier 6 Phono Help Needed

Post by flyong »

Hi all,

I owned a second hand Premier 6 phono amp using Nuvistor 6CW4 tubes, I have both MM cartridge (AT95) and MC cartridge (Denon DL-110), but the both cartridges produce sound that is very thin and no bass at all.

I am using Jadis JPL preamp and using the AUX input.

I read many articles saying that the Premier 6 is microphonics but my one doesn't sound at all, the phono is very quite even when I raised the preamp volume knob.

I did some basic measurement on the tube bias and voltage at the grid, the tubes seem like being powered at the right setting (Based on the schematic of Premier 6).

There are four Nuvistors tube in the circuit board, I swapped the tube in the channel but this doesn't help. Changes of the four tubes reach it lifespan is low.

One thing I never do is to measure the tube current, this is tedious and need more effort to do that or anyone here has any suggestion/idea what's wrong with this phono amp? I don't suspect the passive components give way as the components should be lasting.

Help need here.

Thanks
FL
edj_guzman
New User
New User

Re: Premier 6 Phono Help Needed

Post by edj_guzman »

The output from the Premier6 goes to the phono inputs on you preamp; not the Aux.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Premier 6 Phono Help Needed

Post by roberto »

Edj_guzman is right! You need the RIAA equalization circuit, that is, the phono preamp. This is what the operating manual of the Premier 6 says:
..."The Premier Six should be located as far as possible from the speakers to prevent acoustical feedback. The audio cables from your turntable should be connected to the lower pair of phono jacks (labeled Inputs) on the back of the Premier Six.The ground wire from the turntable should be attached to the Premier Six binding post. Connect the upper pair of phono jacks (labeled Outputs) to the phono input of your preamplifier."...
That's why you have that thin sound. You must connect the Premier 6 to the phono preamp of your preamplifier. If your preamp is a line stage only, you need a phono preamp for it.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.