PV-12 phono - MC?

The PV-1 to now...
pedalhead
Frequent User
Frequent User

PV-12 phono - MC?

Post by pedalhead »

Hi all,

I'm excited to be soon becoming a C-J owner for the first time with a PV-12 / Premier 11A combo. I have a question about the PV-12 preamp phono stage please (this one is equipped with the optional phono stage)....I'm currently shopping around for a new MC tonearm cartridge and I'd like one that's compatible with the PV-12. I'm presuming it will be limited to MM or high output MC carts...?

Many thanks,

Mark.
P51guy
Regular
Regular

Re: PV-12 phono - MC?

Post by P51guy »

I own the PV12A/Premier 11A combo and they are wonderful together. I'm using a Grado MM phono cart and have no complaints. Not sure if a traditional low output MC cart will work.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

The PV12's phono stage has a gain of ~40DB which suits MM cartridges. If you want to use a low output MC you will need a step-up transformer which is the better option anyway for a tubed phono stage. Getting MC gain with tubes is difficult and will generate relatively high levels of noise. A step-up will work great in this case.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
pedalhead
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by pedalhead »

Thanks very much to both of you, that clears that up :-). Ronenash...I see you have a TD125mk2...I bought one just yesterday!
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

Conrgrats. Its a great turntable if restored and loved. I had a nice customer birch plinth built for it. Looks and sounds amazing. 
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
pedalhead
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by pedalhead »

Excellent, I'm looking forward to setting it up and hopefully enjoying it for many years :-)
billyz
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by billyz »

double post?
Last edited by billyz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billyz
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by billyz »

Depends on the MC cartridge output. A high output MC like a dynavector 10x should be no problem. A low output MC will require a step up .
I prefer transformer step up to the active circuits I have tried.
I am currently using a pair of peerless /altec 4722 transformers . They really boogie , previously I used a set of audio note silver wound transformers. The audio notes were a bit smoother and silkier but I now prefer the more lively altec 4722.
billyz
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by billyz »

Just to see if it would work I ran the koetsu rosewood straight into the pv12. It does work!
I had to run the volume control up to around 10-11 o’clock . But, I did not care for the sound compared to using a step up transformer. Straight it was a bit thin and lacking body and dynamics. I suppose one could replace the 47k load resistors and get it to be better. But the step up sounds great . I believe the koetsu is around .4 mv output.
pedalhead
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by pedalhead »

Thanks for testing it out!
Bluesbob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bluesbob »

I’m using a medium output Benz-micro Glider SM (.9 mV) with 1000 ohm resistors paralleled using Y-connector plug-jacks on my PV11. It’s too loud for me when the volume is past 12:00. No noise, either.
"What, me worry?"