Classic 2SE tube upgrade

The PV-1 to now...
jocar37
Beginner
Beginner

Classic 2SE tube upgrade

Post by jocar37 »

I'm curious to hear what results any Classic 2SE owners have had with tube rolling the 6922. This is my first piece with this tube, and from what I've read it seems that the 6922 is the same as the 6DJ8, E88CC, 6N239, and perhaps even some others. So I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out what direction to pursue. I'd like to know not only what others have found to be good tubes, but how they compare to the stock 6922. Thanks for any suggestions.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Classic 2SE tube upgrade

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, sorry to see that no one has replied as yet, maybe the Classic 2SE owners are still with santa... might add my 50cts...

Although I have not tried tube rolling preamps, since to me every CJ preamp I have used over the decades just sounded right! It is power amps that I have changed tubes on, mostly with driver and output tubes.

Having said that, I cannot say for certain that one type would sound better than the other nor the stock tube. You would have to try them out for yourself and see whether there are significant changes.
Also remember, what is it exactly that you're after? Are you after more bass/more extended airy highs/more definition in the midrange/better defined soundstage/ what areas of improvement are you looking for? Try to make a list in your mind and start with tubes that may offer close to those criteria. There is no greatest or best tube ever made, it all depends on personal preferences.

Without a proper reason to change tubes, other than just "better sound" it is far more sensible to ask yourself, what is it you're exactly after in the sound, and what is currently lacking, if any...

I've known so many people changing tubes just because they sound better, but they cannot infer exactly what areas of improvement they are experiencing, other than better bass/mids/highs- there is so much more to than just these basic parameters. They also paid more dollars for the tubes, hence they should sound better... is their main justification.

Remember CJ is several decades old, having established a highly reputed name in high end audio, and most of their gear is used as reference standards. Therefore, whatever tubes they have used in their components are for certain reasons. That is why in most of their manuals they clearly state "they no of no other tubes that would enhance or improve the sound of your CJ product".

However, there are personal tastes and most changes are quite apparent in power amps using output tubes. Some of these tubes are fuller sounding with more bass and dynamics, whiles others just sound different overall. Sometimes most of these variances are enhanced and not even found on the recording itself. Therefore, it would be good to start with a reference recording and decided what parameters you would like to change/improve upon before changing tubes.
Hope that helps, have a good one.
Cheers, RJ
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

Read all about 6922s/6DJ8s here at Brent Jesse's site...
http://audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

HIGHLY recommended.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
jocar37
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jocar37 »

Thanks Jeffrey
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

NOS tubes are a hit and miss affair. You can get really good ones but in most cases I was disappointed and its not worth the cost for me. There are good current production tubes you can use. I have found the EH 6922 to be a very decent tube. If you want to upgrade you can try the Gold Lion 6922 which is a step up. If you do decide to try NOS you can try the 7DJ8 from Matsushita, Phillips, Tungsram. The Matsushita in particular is a great tube. The 7DJ8 is a 7v version of the 6922/6DJ8 tube and works great in CJ preamps.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura