Modified Premier 17LS2?

The PV-1 to now...
sprudel
Beginner
Beginner

Modified Premier 17LS2?

Post by sprudel »

Whats this?
I'm up to change the tube sockets for new in ceramics and had a close look over for all the parts just to check if everything was allright. Then I discovered two parts eventually missing, or what?
C7 and C2 seems to have been cut. Anyone?

Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Modified Premier 17LS2?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hi mate, just came across your pic of the Premier 17LS, something doesn't look quite right.

Not that I am an expert and a "know it all"... but when we had the dealership back in my home town, we did receive quite a few Prem 17's in for tube socket upgrades, including caps and resistor upgrades. That's definitely not a Prem 17LS in its original state.

All of CJ's premier line use Vishay resistors in their circuits, and metal film or computer grade film caps during the older series. Now of course they use Teflon caps. CJ wanted to introduce their products to a wider audience, so they started introducing the standard series with high quality parts at a reasonable price range. Then for the upgraded versions they introduced the "SE" versions which had additional high quality parts priced at a different category, which is now offered. They used to do this mostly with their power amps, and later introduced this SE version towards their premaps.

Changing to ceramic sockets is not the major improvement, although slightly better in heating capacitance but what makes the most significant upgrade are the resistors and capacitors. Please contact Admin on this forum, as he is the main founder and owner of the site, and try to get hold of the original Prem 17LS circuit diagram. I would hate to think that someone has done some major fiddling with this...

What are those wires placed with plastic wrap? Definitely not an original, something doesn't look and feel right. It reminds me of a very cheap DIY kit.
Not sure what others think about this, perhaps the schematic will be able to point out exactly what the difference is.
Hope you can get this back in original condition, and let me know if any mods were done on this unit? I would have a strong word with the previous owner...
Take it easy, RJ
sprudel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sprudel »

I've got the scheme for 17LS, but not for the LS2. The differencies that I know of, is the caps and better handling of the power stage (sorry, dont know the accurate term).
The scheme for 17LS says that those parts "missing" should not be missing!
However, Your comments about those wires with plastic wrap that You suggest is not original, might have a simple explanation, You never see them because they are hidden under the folder for the tubes.
I might just give CJ a phone call and clear this out.
sprudel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sprudel »

After talking to Jeff at CJ there is no need for worryies with my Premier 17 LS2. Those caps that are "missing" are deleted in the LS2 but not in the LS.
I also ordered 4 new original tubes (EH) as I am curious about the original sound, the original intention.