Try to choose between either ET3 or ET3se

The PV-1 to now...
Charles2552
Regular
Regular

Try to choose between either ET3 or ET3se

Post by Charles2552 »

I already have a Classic 2se and I am very impressed with it.

The only reason I am even looking at a ET3 is because I want to treat myself to a remote control. This is not as much an upgrade but a present to myself.

What are the sonic differences between the se and non se sounds? My Classic 2se has a harder sound (not in a bad way so please don't take it as a criticism). My question is I've never heard the non SE units. Are they a softer presentaton?

I do plan on getting the et3se is it's recommended but I only wanted to find out if the non se was a "easier" sound.

thanks
charles
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Try to choose between either ET3 or ET3se

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Charles,

Nice to hear that you have a Classic 2SE, that is my favourite cj preamp of all time, apart from the ACT2.

Upgrading to the ET3SE is really not an upgrade, it's rather an upgrade in features, such as remote. Both preamps do not have balance control function. If you really want an upgrade in sound, it is the ET5 or GAT that will provide a significant improvement over what you already have.

The ET3 standard version is no better than the Classic pre, the only added so called benefit is the remote. The SE version has upgraded resistors in the signal path as well as Teflon caps and upgraded power supplies. Therefore, the SE version is of high quality playback on any cj component.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade to the ET3SE because the difference in sound, if any, is hardly noticeable compared to the Classic 2SE. The Classic 2SE is a superb preamp and a real cj classic in every sense of the word. It takes a while to run in due to its higher grade of Vishay resistors and teflon caps but once it gets going, it will out-perform many highend contenders making it true value for money that cannot be beaten.

As I said, if you really want an upgrade in overall sound, the ET5 would be your best choice, not the ET3SE.
This is just my opinion and what I have experienced in my previous system, having used all three types of these preamps. Infact, from the Classic 2SE to the ACT2, there were only minor improvements. What made an overall improvement by a far margin was only the GAT series 2!
I also upgraded my ACT2 to a series 2 version and it was nearly as good as a GAT but not quite the GAT S2. The GATS2 is in a league of its own...

Cheers and happy hunting for your preferred preamp.
RJ
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Re: Try to choose between either ET3 or ET3se

Post by ronenash »

Big Dog is spot on. The ET3 and Classic 2 essentially use the same circuit design. The ET3 adds remote functionality. 
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura